I was trying to think of this back when Steve posted originally. Ran into
it tonight looking up something else...

>From the Wikis:

“The issue of the authenticity of Deadwood's dialogue has even been alluded
to in the show itself. Early in the second season, E.B. Farnum has fleeced
Francis Wolcott of $9,900, and Farnum tries to console the geologist:

EB: Some ancient Italian maxim fits our situation, whose particulars escape
me.

Wolcott: Is the gist that I'm shit outta luck?

EB: Did they speak that way then?

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 at 12:19 PM Steve Timko <steveti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nicholas Cage hosts a look at the history of swear words. I've seen the
> first episode, the F bomb. I thought Cage was hilarious. The discussion is
> a bit uneven but overall it was fun and enlightening. I recommend it.
> The linguist on "Fresh Air" discussed the use of obscenity and profanity
> on "Deadwood" and said the use of the F bomb on the show was out of place.
> It was not acceptable language, but it wasn't the worst. Cursing God was
> the worst. A really foul-mouthed person would sound like Yosemite Sam. But
> the experts they had on the show said it's been one of the worst things to
> say for hundreds of years.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAH5J8yzy8wKp8AGeG%2B0%2BtvvRwJk1NeU%2BdzfsBtM-uD%2B3N7Ynxw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAH5J8yzy8wKp8AGeG%2B0%2BtvvRwJk1NeU%2BdzfsBtM-uD%2B3N7Ynxw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Sent from Gmail Mobile