On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 7:16 PM Melissa P <takingupspace...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Kevin, you've never taken a class in statistics?

Two classes, so I know full well that one crackpot in the representative
sampling can dilute the results.

In college we had an NPR Jazz radio station on campus and a student-run
grunge radio station (because it was in the state of Washington in the
1990s). One day in the mail I received notification from Arbitron that they
wanted me to participate in the radio survey. Naturally, I was the crackpot
in question, only because I told the truth: those were the only stations I
listened to, and at very odd hours. When the ratings book came out, I
represented some 13k people. And the drunk overnight DJ at the jazz station
went from #17 to #2 in his time slot.