Sorry to hear about the dog and cat (cats should never be outside because
they get hit by cars).

Glad you're becoming a cat person.  There's never been a time in my life
when there wasn't a cat in the family.  Phantom is my fourth cat as an
adult.  Cats are known to seek out those who don't particularly care for
them.  When I was growing up, my mother's friend Pam, who really didn't
like cats, was a favorite of Snowball.