Yellowstone is a great series, about the Dutton family dealing with cattle
ranching amid corporate land grabs and complicated relationships with
native American tribes. with great acting by an ensemble of actors and
real-life ranch hands. Costner does a good job as the patriarch but he is
often not a central character to the plot. "1883" is a great limited series
with again another ensemble cast. It has terrific cinematography and what I
believe to be a realistic depiction of the hardships of people trying to
make a new life in the promised land (Oregon in this case) when most of us
only know that "wagon trains followed the Oregon Trail to get there."

 But who would have thought it would be so good when they announced that
Tim McGraw and wife Faith Hill, country music stars, would work? It does.

 It portrays the origin of the Duttons in a style that's a little bit Ken
Burns-like. Both of these and the other spinoffs, 1883 part 2 which will be
about a black trail boss and his Romanian(?) wife making a life in Oregon;
1932 which is about the next set of Dutton descendants dealing with issues
in the Depression years, and "6666" which is about a modem day ranch, the
biggest in Texas which still exists and served as an alternative location
for some Yellowstone characters are all helmed by Taylor Sheridan, who has
full control. If you like one, you'll likely like them all, regardless of
the headlining cast.