In ALL of my experience (West Coast, East Coast, doesn't matter), audience
waiting has ALWAYS been an unpleasant experience.  Back in July 2021, a
woman standing about 5 people behind me fainted and an ambulance came and
got her.  One would think that might have been an incentive to get the
audience out of the heat and at least in the air-conditioned lobby, but
nope, the incident didn't change the Late Show's audience procedures at
all.  We waited in the heat some more.

However, a few years ago -- the last time I attended sitcom tapings in LA
-- there was a bright spot.  At Warner Brothers, audiences were handled in
the parking garage and there were benches for us to sit on to preserve line
order.  Doesn't sound like much, but it was actually a major improvement.

One of the guests last night was Ernie Moniz?  Back when he worked in the
Obama White House, Dr. Moniz was a reviewer of the publication I helped
prepare.  One of my colleagues was called over to the Old Executive Office
Building -- specifically to explain purchasing power parities to him.  Just
a memorable incident from my past.