For all of the inequities in regard to the way players get paid, there is a
collective bargaining agreement and the players agreed to it. I’m not
putting it all on the NFLPA but they could go public with the issues before
they go into negotiations. The pool of money seems large enough to end
split contracts and overhaul the way health insurance is handled. When
Hines Ward had a podcast a number of years ago he said when ex-players text
each other or get together the main thing they talk about is health
insurance. When players retire from the league they have to find insurance
that will take them with all of their injuries and needs. If the player was
vested he gets a lump sum to help (I remember it being $100,000 but it
might have been more) and Ward said that amount doesn’t last long.