He has had jobs as a TV director before (early in his career, he directed
individual episodes of various series, and the first feature-length film he
directed was notably a made-for-TV movie, "Duel"). The article is referring to
the possibility of him directing every episode of a limited-run series. I'll
grant that the Variety article is a bit confusing with its use of the phrase
"TV show."