I don’t dislike the series, but the pace/timing feels way off. Last night
before watching the new episodes, I rewatched several episodes of the
original series, and by comparison the new series feels like “704 Hauser.”
For those unfamiliar with the reference, 704 Hauser was a show set at the
same address as “All In The Family,” but it had a different cast and a very
different vibe. It wasn’t a bad series, but it was bad compared to what
came before it. The new Night Court isn’t bad, and it might get better, but
it isn’t close to what the original series was. Melissa Rauch is — to me —
not a good enough actor to be more than a supporting character, so when
she’s supposed to be the lead in this show, my focus drifts away from her,
which is a bad thing for a series lead.