There's precedent for this with at least one of the stations involved: WTOG was
the initial Fox affiliate for the Tampa Bay area when the network was just the
Joan Rivers show, but when Fox started moving to expand into prime-time, they
dropped the affiliation and stayed independent. (In the following decade, they
became a UPN affiliate.)