It's worth noting that basically every public service TV broadcaster across
Europe apart from the BBC takes at least some advertising these days. I've
just spent the week in France and France TV (their BBC equivalent) has
advertising between programmes, but fewer mid-programme interruptions than
normal. Most of these European countries have some kind of licence
fee/central taxation to pay for their broadcasts.

Of course, the reality is that without this, no commercial competitors in
smaller nations would ever be able to produce much programming to represent
local culture. Only RTE is really going to regularly make Irish-set drama
series. I'm not even aware that Netflix has commissioned any series in
Ireland (things like Rebellion are RTÉ productions, and while they put
money into the Channel 4 original Derry Girls, that's really Northern
Ireland).  There may be something I've missed, but even if you consider
the UK, Netflix really hasn't done anything that I would consider
culturally "British" apart from, perhaps, Top Boy. Most of their UK
productions are looking to gaining decent global audiences as well. Set in
the UK, yes, but always with an eye on the global audience with big names,
and nothing too "alienating."

The other thing to note here is that we're in the middle of summer and few
broadcasters (aside from streamers) are putting out much new programming.
Lots of reruns and lower cost fare, saving everything "good" for the
autumn/fall.

I'm not saying that RTÉ's autumn programming will be that much better - I'm
willing to bet that their biggest hit aside from The Late Late Show which
is at the centre of this latest controversy, is probably the BBC/RTÉ
co-production - Mrs Brown's Boys - about which, the less said, the better
(and curiously, it's shot in Glasgow, and not anywhere in Ireland!).

Adam