Two random observations about purchasing media online:

First, former Los Angeles morning radio host Mark (of “Mark & Brian”)
Thompson released the audiobook of his autobiography on Audible this week.
On his podcast he announced he’d been informed by Audible (and there was a
banner icon added to his audiobook) his book was the #1 audiobook on
Audible. As the author, he is able to see how many people purchased the
audiobook: Nine. Not nine hundred. Not even ninety. Nine. And it is number
one.

Second, 14 of the top 15 albums downloaded on the iTunes Store are by the
late, great Jimmy Buffett (one assumes the errant Taylor Swift album in the
top 15 is a collection of Buffett cover songs). And two of Buffett’s albums
knocked the right wing fringe singers out of the top five of iTunes country
albums.

I mention both of these things because online rankings are not monitored or
verified by any third party. If Mark Thompson hasn’t made a joke about it,
it would’ve been easy to conclude that his podcast was a sudden breakout
success. And since my own sampling of friends and family reveals I’m the
only one buying media on the iTunes Store, and I already own most of
Buffett’s music in digital and/or vinyl form, I have to conclude a razor
thin percentage of buyers was able to up-end their entire ranking system.

It reveals a fundamental flaw or vulnerability in the rankings system.