You expressed yourself quite clearly, and I agree the article is crap. It
doesn’t tell the whole story; I don’t even think the writers know the whole
story. Part of me wants to believe the intent is to get someone to go on
the record, but with broadcast TV dying, and the strike putting the job of
everyone in the industry in jeopardy, people are going to be reluctant to
talk. When Fallon’s reign of banality comes to an end, I doubt there will
be a replacement; whatever remains of the Tonight Show will likely end with
him.