It doesn't say anything about windows in the article - but with the volume
turned up loud enough, the neighbors could certainly have heard the noise
through the walls, floor, or ceiling (as pretty much anyone who's ever lived in
an apartment could tell you).

And at any rate, not all editors' offices are in modern office buildings with
windows that don't open. (In fact, since there was a doorbell camera mentioned,
it's very likely in some sort of bungalow or similar situation.)