I'll agree that Woodard had a lot of heavy lifting to do, but she did it well.
(In my mind, Owen's smirk during that scene was as much about his relief at not
having to do it as it was Spade's amusement at the whole situation.) That is
something at odds with Hammett, though; his plots are pretty straightforward
and don't require a lot of cleaning up at the end. (Chandler was the
complicated one; to the point of famously not knowing who killed the
Sternwood's butler in "The Big Sleep.") He was more interested in psychology
than in unraveling international conspiracies.
I'd love to see a second season, too, but expect it'll turn up about the same
time as Perry Mason 3.
--Dave Sikula

    On Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 10:16:15 PM PST, Kevin M.