As someone who was exactly the right age during the original run, I think
the general consensus was that Emily was right up there with Laura Petrie,
Samantha Stevens, and 99, and that Bob had married up. They were, at the
time, one of the few sitcom couples who seemed to have a real attraction to
each other.

--Dave Sikula