There seems to be a furor on social media that on last Tuesday night's
episode of NBC's reboot of "Password" Jimmy Fallon, co-producer of the
reboot and regular celebrity guest (since his late-night shows have done
"Password" as a regular bit), gave an illegal clue by saying "godmother" to
get his partner to say "godfather." Uh, no (a clip is in the link):

https://www.tvinsider.com/1134040/password-jimmy-fallon-cheated-nbc/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

It has been a rule from the Allen Ludden days that words that start
similarly are acceptable clues for the password (the
"grandmother/grandfather" syndrome).  I seem to recall that the home game
even states as much in what is basically a cheat sheet for acceptable
clues. And while I'm at it, doing voices on the clues has always been
acceptable, like Fallon doing "family" in a Brando-ish voice as a clue.
What's illegal and has always been is using gestures--and Keke Palmer
caught Fallon in time when he was about to do Mafia boss gestures.  As much
as we all hate Fallon, he was doing nothing that Dr. Reason A. Goodwin
would have buzzed him on back in the day.