I love and respect the younger generation choosing to speak out and protest
perceived wrongdoings; agree or disagree with them, they want to see a
change. The roadblock is that I don’t think any of the problems plaguing
our planet will be cured by protesting a singing competition. And the
backslide is that people on both sides cannot or will not distinguish
between common people and the regimes that control the region, which is how
the language becomes prejudicial and incendiary.

I’d like to see the protesters and demonstrators take to their nation’s
capitals. Or, if they really want to see change in Gaza, actually go to
Gaza. College campus encampments are more about the perception of doing
something than actually doing something. They’re on a perfectly manicured
tree-lined quad wedged between a Subway and a Starbucks… not exactly Kent
State.

Only other point I’ll mention is the cancellation of graduation ceremonies
is especially brutal for this generation, as many were denied their high
school graduations four years ago due to Covid restrictions. In our
collective abundance of caution, these kids aren’t getting the recognition
they deserve, and that’s going to have a deep cultural impact.

Kevin M. (RPCV)