On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 8:07 PM Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Given how cost ineffective it is to produce this particular series, I
> don’t see it making enough for Amazon to produce more than a single season.

I don't know.

If they "reimagine" it cleverly it could work. In the UK, the BBC brought
back "Gladiators" as it's known here for the first time in many years
earlier this year, and it was a massive hit. Instant recommission and it
worked well with families. A new generation of "gladiators" was born.

And then I look at the Netflix show from South Korea called "Physical 100"
which has done very well. It came it at #15 globally in the Jan-Jun 23
Netflix data dump. Pretty incredible for a gameshow made in a language most
of the world doesn't speak.

So I think if Amazon, or the production company that produces it, can make
it right, it can work.

Also, if they're really smart, they could follow a "Wipeout" model for
producing the series. When "Wipeout"/"Total Wipeout" was doing well
globally there was a single fixed set built in Argentina. Each country
would fly its own presenters and contestants out there. A central team
filmed the series locally, and then all the local bits were added later. A
country could shoot episodes for a couple of weeks in a batch, fly out, and
the next country flew in. Rinse and repeat.

I think the same model was used in Europe for a gameshow called "The Wall"
(not sure if it made it to the US). At least for the first series, the UK
version was filmed on the giant purpose built set in Poland. The difference
there was that it had a studio audience who had to understand English, and
in particular the cockney-variant spoken by presenter (and actor) Danny
Dyer. You can do your own googling if you don't know who he is.

Adam