I'm no longer using X/Twitter, so I can't verify this for myself, but someone
on Bluesky says that likes weren't literally made private, they just removed
the button - you can still see them by adding "/likes" after someone's profile
URL.

This is about what you would expect from a site that runs entirely on Elon
Musk's whims and has a lot fewer engineers than it used to.

(The quote in the NBC News article can probably be decoded as "Don't worry, you
can now privately let all your favorite white supremacist posters know how much
you like them.")