"In my day," the Calendar was a vital part of the arts in Southern
California, with really superb critics (Dan Sullivan, Sylvie Drake, Charles
Champlin, and even Martin Bernheimer and Robert Hilburn). Over the years,
it's been dumbed down to the point where the Sunday section is little
better than People or Tiger Beat.

I'm no fan of Chiang (his moving to The New Yorker strikes me as
guaranteeing that they still have a really lousy film critic when Richard
Brody finally -- finally! - leaves). but there's really not a lot there
now. Charles McNulty is an excellent theatre reviewer, but I expect someone
will snatch him away. (Hopefully, it'll be the New York Times, which could
really use a perspective that doesn't center on Manhattan and the West End.)

--Dave Sikula