While unlike Kevin I have seen and heard Hoda a few times in various
contexts, never have I seen her on The Today show, and indeed I was mildly
surprised to be reminded recently that she was one of the hosts.

She is though part of the last generation of TV News dinosaurs - Big
Salaried Stars that broadcast and cable networks build their programs
around. There are still others of that generation, but all but a few are in
or approaching their 60s, and almost certainly in their last big contract.

Puck News’ Dylan Thomas wrote about this in his most recent newsletter:

*“…the choreography of Hoda’s exit also belied some unpalatable economic
realities…. Hoda was making more than $20 million per year at NBC,
according to sources with direct knowledge of her salary. (Savannah also
makes more than $20 million; Lauer had made $25 million.) NBC
executives loved Hoda and knew her value to the brand, but also made clear
to her agents that such stratospheric contracts were no longer justifiable
given the industry’s inexorable decline. A decade ago, Today and GMA each
averaged around 5 million viewers; today, their audiences are just more
than half of that, at around 2.8 million. And they’ve fared even worse in
the advertiser-coveted 25- to 54-year-old demo, declining from around 2
million viewers each to about 600,000. Thus, instead of a pay raise, NBC
proposed a cut.Alas, Hoda’s situation is not unique. An economic
realignment is coming to television, and the star system is nearing its
end. Inevitably, almost every handsomely paid on-air talent will be forced
to take a haircut or, at best, accept an almost negligible 2 to 4 percent
cost-of-living raise. Alternatively, they’ll be asked to graciously make
way for significantly lower-priced successors. “This is the age of the
great resetting of TV news contracts,” one veteran media executive told me.
“Everyone is getting their pay cut or their jobs eliminated. In the coming
year, some big names will announce they want to spend more time with their
kids or families or write new chapters. And that may be true. But they also
don’t want to work for less money even though they have already made a
fortune.”After all, the current economic arrangement is entirely
unsustainable. GMA co-hosts George Stephanopoulos, Robin Roberts,
and Michael Strahan cost Disney at least $75 million a year, a ludicrous
expense that will need to be greatly reduced during the next round of
contract negotiations. Both Stephanopoulos and Roberts are 63, and may
determine they don’t want to be paid less to wake up before 4 a.m. to
service a shrinking audience. Strahan already moonlights as a Fox NFL
analyst, which would be a fine safety net. Yes, the era keeps ending, but
it’s starting to end a little faster…”*

Sent from Gmail Mobile