I'll take the PPV piece of this first - AEW's PPVs were previously carried
in the US by BleacherReport.com, a Turner/TNT Sports website, but it never
made a ton of sense in that B/R never had a TV-centric streaming app, so to
have PPVs move to Max is really more lateral than anything else.

As far as live-streaming AEW programming, I have to assume this is viewed
as a way to stay competitive with Netflix (which will be taking on WWE Raw
in the US and ALL WWE programming - new and archived - internationally
starting in 2025) and Peacock (which is still the home of the WWE"s back
catalog [save for NXT, which has moved to the CW app] and Premium Live
Events).  Zaslav would be foolish to think this is somehow going to fill
the Shaq-sized hole created by losing rights to the NBA, but rasslin' has
proven to be a consistent revenue draw, so there is some logic in
maintaining the relationship.