On 11:44 am, wolfgang....@rohdewald.de wrote:
Am Montag, 8. September 2014, 10:54:44 schrieb exar...@twistedmatrix.com:
Can you point out the specific places where you think PB needs to start
using UTF-8 instead of ASCII?  Those are the places that need to be
fixed, not the underlying porting helpers they happen to use.

My question is whether PEP3131 should be supported or not. After all,
it is an integral part of Python3. I have no opinion about this,
I just want to point it out as a potential problem.

So you say it should not be supported, and I have no problem with that.

Just to be clear about it:

In Python3 you can legally write

def ÜnicödeMethod€Name(self):

or see
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-June/008172.html
for a nice Russian example.

but PB cannot transfer those identifiers. Which is not what the
user would expect.

PB supports unicode perfectly well and has for many years. This is why I asked which specific part of PB has a problem. I don't see why you think unicode is a problem here. This doesn't mean there isn't a problem - after all, you've been looking at the code and trying to make it work on Python 3 and I haven't - but you haven't made it clear what that problem is.

A failing unit test or a minimal example (<http://sscce.org/>) would communicate this most clearly, but perhaps you can just mention a specific API and give an incomplete example of how it will fail when it runs up against the changes defined by PEP 3131.

Jean-Paul

This should be clearly communicated somewhere in the docs, IMHO.

--
Wolfgang