> On Jul 20, 2016, at 3:18 PM, Adi Roiban <a...@roiban.ro> wrote:
>

> On 20 July 2016 at 22:36, Glyph Lefkowitz <gl...@twistedmatrix.com
> <mailto:gl...@twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 20, 2016, at 11:59 AM, Adi Roiban <a...@roiban.ro
>> <mailto:a...@roiban.ro>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We now have Ubuntu / Windows Server and OS X running Twisted tests for each
>> PR, using Travis-CI and Appveyor
>>
>> Non-`Twisted GitHub Team` members can now run a pretty extensive test suite
>> for commits associated with a PR.
>>
>> The coverage report is 90.52% (+/- 0.01%) just by running tests on the
>> public CI.
>> As far as I can tell this is better than what we get with Buildbot builders
>> (since we no longer have BSD slaves and Win7 coverage reporter is broken and
>> Win2012 slave was removed)
>
> It seems like the only thing that Buildbot is now covering which this setup
> is not is alternate kernels, which have not diverged in behavior from
> Twisted's perspective for 7 or 8 years.  I am starting to wonder if we could
> get rid of the entire current buildbot environment with all its complicated
> trust issues and just start over with the parts that we actually want:
> on-demand, latent FreeBSD and Windows builders, for example.  This is a
> tricky problem, but if it's the *only* thing we're trying to get buildbot to
> do it's a lot simpler to start there.
>
> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though ;).
>

> +1 to Amber's remark ... different distro have different OpenSSL
>
> I don't know which OpenSSL versions are supported by latest Twisted.
>
> For the kernel, I don't think that there are big differences.... so maybe we
> can have docker based latent slaves to run all these distros and destroy them
> after each run.
>
> The docker slaves should keep the Rackspace invoice under control.

This is exactly where I was going, with one important caveat - Travis-CI
supports running arbitrary docker images:
<https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/docker/> so we do not need buildbot for this
:-).

> api-documentation is still executed on Buildbot ... but there is a ticket in
> the review queue to move it to Travis-CI
> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8518
> <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8518>
Cool; that one seems pretty straightforward to move.

>> Some tests on Appveyor are still failing. Help here is much appreciated.
>>
>> We also got some tests failing on OS X but Amber has already started working
>> to fix them https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8639
>> <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8639>
>>
>> OS X tests results will not block for now a merge, but you will have to wait
>> for the OS X results. In this way we can see how much longer does a test run
>> takes, now that we also have OS X.
>>
>> Appveyor was pretty fast in the last days... after the move to Rackspace.
>
> I'm a little confused - does Appveyor run on Rackspace now, or do we run some
> component of Appveyor on Twisted's Rackspace account?
>
> I have received a message from AppVeyor saying that they have moved the open
> source projects to Rackspace ... and after that the time a build was waiting
> in the queue is much shorter
>
> https://www.appveyor.com/blog/2016/07/16/migration-to-rackspace
> <https://www.appveyor.com/blog/2016/07/16/migration-to-rackspace>

Woot!  Go team Rackspace!  Thanks for that link.

>> Travis-CI was a bit slow on the free queue... not sure how fast is the payed
>> queue :)
>>
>> Please report any issues here or on Twisted Infrastructure tracker
>> https://github.com/twisted-infra/braid/issues
>> <https://github.com/twisted-infra/braid/issues>
> Thanks *again* for the sustained effort on improving the CI situation, Adi.
> It seems like we're not quite there yet, but things are really starting to
> come together.
>
> I would consider the Travis-CI / AppVeyor integrations still experimental.
>
> I am happy that we are moving to a command line driven CI design as it should
> make it easier to move between CI systems.

The one thing I wish we could do is extract our build information in some
structured format we could actually parse, to make moving between CI executors
even easier... but that's probably a few years out at least :).

> This can also help if we want to get latent buildslave as by that time we
> get the latent slaves we should be familiar with running tests in a
> disposable VM/container.

Latent builders would certainly improve our ability to use buildbot
considerably.

-glyph