On 22/02/17 11:12, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

I'm tempted to launch into a diatribe about namespacing, containers, and
application isolation generally, but before I do - why is it that you
/want/ to use the system Python environment?  Had you just not
considered the option of virtual environments?

Awesome though it is, virtualenv can be very tedious if you need to install hundreds of megabytes of compiler and -devel packages. System packages are attractive precisely because you can avoid this.

I've had to do all sorts of tedious things with containers where I spin up a temporary container to build a bunch of .whl files, then actually install them in the final container - all to avoid bloating the container image with the build tools.

It's a real shame that binary wheels on Linux/PyPI aren't a thing. I understand the reasons why, but TBH it substantially reduces the value of the Python ecosystem for me.

Go is looking like a more and more attractive competitor to Python, frankly, having sidestepped this problem entirely.