> On May 25, 2017, at 11:35 PM, Amber Brown <hawk...@atleastfornow.net> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Fresh from PyCon US, comes a 17.5 prerelease. Fancy things in this release:
>
> - twisted.python.url has been spun out into the new 'hyperlink' package;
> importing twisted.python.url is now a compatibility alias
> - Support for OpenSSL 1.1.0.
> - Fixes around the reactor DNS resolver changes in 17.1, solving all known
> regressions
> - Deferred.asFuture and Deferred.fromFuture, to allow you to map asyncio
> Futures to Twisted Deferreds and vice versa, for use the with Python 3+
> asyncioreactor in Twisted
> - Support for TLS 1.3 ciphersuites, in advance of a released OpenSSL to
> enable the protocol
> - Further Python 3 support in twisted.web, initial support in
> twisted.mail.smtp
>
> Please see the NEWS.rst file and download the tarball at
> https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/rc/17.5.0rc2/
> <https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/rc/17.5.0rc2/> . (rc1 fell to metadata
> mishaps!)
>
> Let me know if you notice anything out of the ordinary. If there's no
> problems, it'll release in the next week or so.

Happily, although lots of work happened at the sprints this year, little of it
was landed hastily; the things that did land quickly were fixes for
long-standing regressions.  So it is my hope that this will be a bit more
stable than has been characteristic of our post-PyCon releases :-).

The possibility for a 17.1.1 does remain open depending on how this release
works out for those affected by previous regressions.  Please test!

-glyph