On 02/04/2019 09:07, Tobias Oberstein wrote:
Right, but correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is that URL stands for Univeral Resource Locator and URLs can encode all of the things you

WebSocket needs a _HTTP_ URL

Not sure I follow, I specify ws:// and things work. What am I missing?
(I know the initial protocol is http and that's "upgraded" into websocket, but the url is still ws:// or wss://, right?)

fwiw, WAMP is a protocol with a clear-cut, rigorous and decoupled layering:

Do browsers speak WAMP? Do firewalls get upset with it?

describe. They certainly contain the host and port, so shouldn't there be a graceful way to specify a URL once and have everything that needs that info or a subset of it get it from there?

a (fully qualified) HTTP URL of course encodes a host and port, but that only covers transports that have those notions

Not sure what you mean by fully qualified?

(This isn't necessarily aimed at AutoBahn, seems to be something common in Twisted...)

things look only "simple" when leaving out details;)

There's never a reasonable excuse for duplicating the same information within a few lines of code.

Chris