On 16/05/2020 06:55, Glyph wrote:
This does point out one of my secret hopes for SMB: that a file server's
maintainers will care enough about file throughput that we'll finally get a
centralized, official way of doing async file I/O that we can share with SFTP,
FTP, and HTTP :).

I got excited by the title, but this all seems to be able giving non-filesystems a file-system like API.

If I've missed something, please let me know, but I couldn't find an async interface for writing to actual file systems. It feels like Twisted has just punted on them as "fast enough" to not need async interfaces, but that can really not be the case for networked filesystems (NFS, GPFS, etc) where the blocking time for reading or writing can be seconds (or minutes if it's having a bad day!).

What's the Twisted solution for these kinds of things? Defer all file IO into a thread?

Chris