The changing URLs have been an asset for quick cache expiry for us,
but I understand that more predicable URLs would be easier for
developers.  We'll consider changing this behavior in the next major
release of the API, but it's not going to change in the current
version.

I would suggest caching on the client side where possible, as Joel suggests.

--
Alex Payne - API Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x