For one, you'll need to get your account whitelisted.  POST requests
aren't rate limited as a rule, but there are some rules around the
number updates and direct messages one can send per day that apply
whether you're using the API or the web site.  Getting whitelisted
lifts those limits.

Beyond that, feel free to POST either serially or in parallel.  Five
at a time sounds perfectly reasonable.

--
Alex Payne - API Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x