It's not for spam purposes that we would wish to impliment such a
feature. We're working on a portal that allows users to update
multiple digital destinations with news on their brands and other
topics of interest. Instead of asking users to go to each of these
destinations, register, then come back to our portal to update them,
we were looking to create the accounts for them where applicable.

I can see how this might be used for spam, if twitter didn't impliment
email URL authentication, which it does ... rendering that argument
pretty much mute.

However, I guess we will have to look for a work around.