Ah, gotcha! You can, it will just display a browser warning. Which is
not what you want :P

The Terms say: "We do not rate limit the search API under ordinary
circumstances, however we have put measures in place to limit the
abuse of our API."
Try emailing, Alex Payne, or someone at Twitter about a whitelist.