A cursory glance at the API docs makes it appear as if you'd have to
page through all of your DMs and count, but the fact that Twitter puts
the number of DMs you have on your /home page suggests that value is
given some where though I've never seen it.

In the very least, the number of directs is obviously something that
Twitter keeps cached/on hand. If I haven't missed it somewhere, and
there is no API-based way to receive this value, you can always ask
for a method ;)

@dougw