2009/1/24 simX <simsimb...@gmail.com>:
> Before the API change, if a client (including the web interface) did
> not specifically set the "in_reply_to_status_id" parameter, the tweet
> would still have an "in reply to" link, but it would simply point to
> the latest tweet (at that point in time) of the person that the tweet
> is replying to.
>
> After the API change, this is no longer the case.  If a user does not
> specifically click on a reply swoosh in the web interface, and instead
> manually types "@al3x", for example, the tweet does not have an "in
> reply to" link.
>
> I consider this a very bad change.

I kinda agree but I can also see where Twitter are coming from. The
display of conversations loses meaning when the in reply to id is
automatically assigned. However I would have preferred to see an
attribute added to indicate whether it was specified or automatically
assigned. That would IMHO give the most flexibility for client usage
and analysis.

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/