After we've made the switch to OAuth, is there a way to get the user's
handle?

Twitter-based apps, as has been pointed out, haven't needed logins of
their own because all users had one with Twitter. So we have databases
with the user's name as the key field. Without the ability (unless I'm
missing something, apologies in advance) to determine the user's name
how would we find their info in our own (not Twitter's) databases?

The ability to attach data to the user's account stored on twitter.com
would neatly solve the problem in an OAuth-friendly way, but you're
stll left with the problem of how to associate the data we've been
amassing in the pre-OAuth years with the new OAuth-identified user.

Interesting (but real) issue if I'm not missing  something, which I
probably am. :-)