Jeff,
The friendship methods will allow you to create and destroy friendships on
the behalf of authenticated users. Their usage is explained at [1]. These
methods allow you to "follow" and "unfollow" users. Notification methods are
not necessary unless you would like to enable/disable device notification.
If you would like a more complete explanation on the differences between
following and notification I would be happy to help explain that.

The error case for protected users isn't explicit. You will have to parse
the returned user element results [2] and look for a true value in the
protected element. For instance, in xml format:

<protected>true</protected>

Lastly, I know a professor who teaches a class where students work on
projects promoting computing accessibility. If you feel this is a large
enough project that a student could get involved, I can introduce you to the
professor so you two can discuss if he has any students who may would be
able to contribute. Contact me off the board (do...@igudo.com) if this
interests you.

[1] - http://apiwiki.twitter.com/REST+API+Documentation#FriendshipMethods
[2] -