Well, it's kind of a weird feedback loop.

Say you are following a trending bot (many many people do, a
surprising number to me).  As soon as you see a tweet from your
favorite trending bot, you click the link and head over to see the
results.... Well, all the other bots are tweeting at about the same
time, so as soon as a new trend appears you get a dozen or so
trend-bot tweets appearing in the results you just loaded up.  I will
admit this can be semi-annoying.  Disproportionate? I guess it depends
on how many results your browser loads by default.  Mine is always set
to 100, so I can scroll by the bots pretty quickly, but if people are
only seeing 25 at a time, they'd have to click "Next" or "Older" to
get past the bots.

Like I said in my blog post, once you are actually searching for a
trend, you don't need a dozen things telling you it's a trend again..
you're already there!  Some bots are "worse offenders" than others and
just spew all the trends every 5 minutes or retweet people (randomly
it seems) that match the trend (not naming names, I'm sure you can
figure them out).

As a means of driving traffic they are very effective (at least the
one I run seems to be).  A little over 50% of the traffic to
tweetgrid.com/search comes from links posted by my bot.  I am not sure
if the effectiveness can be attributed to the mere fact that the bot
exists, or because it has some useful information attached (e.g.
#trend has risen to the #3 trend! <link>). Very few of the bots seem
to talk about the rank of the trend, but mine does, so it has some
added value.  I think this has helped my bot, and it also means that
it gets retweeted quite a bit (another big surprise to me).

In all honesty, I started my bot because one of my competitors
convinced one of the existing trend bots to link to their site instead
of search.twitter.com.  I launched my bot in defense.

A long, meandering answer to a short question.  I am somewhat
conflicted on the issue since I run one of these bots, but I will
admit I find the greasemonkey script to blow them away quite nice.
How's that for a definite maybe?

-Chad