Devin,
The friendship create method, just like the status create method,
requires HTTP POST. Therefore they must be invoked through some sort
of server-side script.

However, since you are already sending users to Twitter to update
their status, have you considered simply sending them to a user's
profile (http://twitter.com/<user>) to follow and unfollow through the
Twitter UI?

Doug
@dougw