Let me give an example:

Let's say I am UserA, and I send out this tweet:

"@UserB @UserC @UserD can't wait to see you this weekend for dinner
with @UserE!!"

Then only UserB will see that tweet in their Reply feed (because the
tweet physically starts with "@UserB").

UserC, UserD and UserE are SOL and won't see this tweet in their Reply
feed..... They would have to use the Search API to search for
themselves to see this tweet and know they were mentioned...

make a bit more sense?
-Chad