Hi,
There is a rate limit for the Search API but it is higher than 100 requests
per second imposed by the REST API. The limiting is performed by the IP
address. The default limit is high enough that most applications shouldn't
be affected.

As the search architecture has no notion of accounts, it would be difficult
to add account-based limiting. We do however whitelist IP addresses in the
event that the higher limit is warranted.

Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw