Not to be contrary, but is there a reason for this limit? I could
write Yet Another FAQ that nobody will read to try to educate the
users about this, but they will ultimately complain that the app is
broken.

Of course, this probably is such an outlier case that only a tiny
percentage of people will ever need to use a hashtag > 16 chars (why
it would even be close to this big is beyond me... using over 11% of
your 140 characters just for a hashtag??? unless they're being ironic,
but who has ever been ironic on the internet?).

-Chad