I believe you can also use the HTTP response stats code to tell if the
user's DM is successful or not. If the status code is 403 (Forbidden),
then in the context of DM, I believe it means the receiver is not
following the sender. This way you don't need to check any condition
beforehand (like follower list...), simple send it and examine the
return code