Fair point, there do seem to be more twitter apps than say Flickr apps,
but is this not just a case of tool maturity though?

It is hard to beat cron and curl, but tools like
http://intridea.com/2009/3/23/twitter-auth-for-near-instant-twitter-apps
will make it easier to get past the auth setup and on to making an
interesting app.

OAuth is still pretty young compared to basic auth, the tools will get
better I think
I still think that OAuth as a single framework for web and desktop is
a desirable model to aim for.

Migrating the current Basic Auth acquired users to OAuth tokens will
be a challenge though.

registering your OAuthness with twitter.com or responding to a
particular API call could then start a token issuing process?