Hi there,

This is a known issue [1] that I have been working on for some time. I have a fix ready to be deployed next week so hopefully this will start working correctly. Every API user wants and deserves the correct data and the cache should work correctly to keep load off the databases and still return you the correct results. The fix for this bug is a long time coming because we wanted to be sure it would fix the issue, perform well, and be resistant to breaking again in the future. Sorry for the long delay.

Thanks;
  — Matt Sanford

[1] - http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=157