Craig,
Great questions.

The in_reply_to_status_id will be honored only if the value is a status_id
that was authored by a user that is also mentioned in the tweet. Therefore,
if you include a status_id for this parameter and that is either 1) invalid
or 2) does not belong to a user mentioned in the tweet, the field will be
discarded.

Your second question then becomes pretty intuitive when coupled with our
recent change to the in_reply_to_status_id field. If this field is valid by
the rules above, it will produce a "in reply to <user>" in the Web GUI.

Thanks,
Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw