That would be an interesting challenge.

Now this would only work with active users and for English users but
you could mine out probability index of gender using other data around
the user.

Basically you could search back on someone's tweets for keywords that
allude you to gender. Like someone saying "Us girls have it hard." you
could assume a high chance of being female. You could also use the
search api and look of people talking about the subject in the third
person and you are likely to find the pronouns "he" or "she". For
example coming across a tweet like "I love @zbowling. He is awesome.".
Other ideas are looking for other gender specific words like "my
beard" or "my bra" .

Then you might have the privacy advocates (big brother conspiracy
nuts) crying fowl though and gender bombing twitter if you release
such a service.

Zac Bowling
http://twitter.com/zbowling