Josh,
Timestamps are all based on UTC [1]. If you want to adjust the data in your
client to be representative of the user's registered timezone, you should
use the utc_offset [2] to transformation the timestamp accordingly.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
2. http://apiwiki.twitter.com/REST-API-Documentation#utcoffset

Doug Williams
Twitter API Support