Jeffery,
This is valid criticism. This bug came as a surprise to us as well. We
otherwise would have given developers fair warning. Unfortunately there is
no easy fix, and like a bad heart-break, time may be the only answer.

In short, the problem is with the user data cache. To get the extended
information into that cache, the user object must either expire or be
invalidated through some user initiated update. The expiry on the cache is
rather long and you will find that inactive accounts will have abbreviated
data for up to 2 weeks.

This is obviously sub-optimal, as Matt would say.

Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw