The best thing to do is watch the ticket... I believe that Matt ( a Twitter developer) is actively working it and could use some input.

http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=376

personalhypequoti...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm seeing the same thing.  If I use Basic Auth, everything works
fine.  If I use OpenAuth, I get the rate limit message.

Theory:  when you're signed in, the rate limit is per-user, and if
you're not signed in, the rate limit is per-IP address.  I think the
OpenAuth mechanism is somehow not able to determine the user's info,
and so uses the IP-based rate limit instead.

Does anybody from Twitter read this list?  Is there another forum
where I can ask about this?