That's an interesting point, Chad.

My basic assumption is that "normal" people don't know what the hell
OAuth is. They're used to giving out passwords. If clicking a banner
makes it work, they're happy.

I figured the 3rd party apps would already be using a Twitter
password. So they aren't asking for a password to work with Tipjoy,
but with their service.

For example, an iphone twitter client could, say, turn off ads by
making a Tipjoy payment. The Tipjoy account creation, payment, balance
extraction, and other API calls would all just use the Twitter
password already stored in the client. "It just works*"

This is a bit different for applications that sell content, that might
want to start selling over Twitter.

if http://popcuts.com started using Tipjoy to sell mp3s over twitter,
they would need to ask for the Twitter password just to use Tipjoy.
Then this concern is valid.

Either way, I hope to have the OAuth solution in place this week.

No need to keep it a secret: we plan on allowing for a
authorization_url param that is an OAuth signed call to
http://twitter.com/account/verify_credentials.json

We'd verify the call with Twitter, then proceed like we have a twitter
password.

This call won't work though, because we'd need to update the user's
status
http://tipjoy.com/api/#creating_twitter_payment

We'll enable a work-around by posting the tweet, and calling that
endpoint with an id of a tweet already posted.

That should all work, right?

Thanks!

Ivan
http://tipjoy.com